Monday, March 5, 2012



   This is an image I took the other night. Trying something new out. I have never observed nor photographed an object like this before. This is a Globular Cluster called Messier 13 or M13 also NGC 6205, referred to by it's common name as The Great Cluster in Hercules. This like many objects states in which constellation it is located, Hercules. The reason I chose this I think speaks for itself. It is a densly packed group of stars. This specific one was discovered by the one and only Edmond Halley, as you may have realized from the name, Halley's Comet got it's namesake from this great man. This object is about 145 light years in diameter. In perspective it is 852,382,475,284,091 miles in diameter. That's 852 Trillion Miles! It is located about 25,000 light years from Earth. In this cluster there are well over 100,000 stars. I believe upon looking at this then photographing it as well I have now found a new favorite type of object of mine.

No comments: