Saturday, April 14, 2012




   This is Messier 101 or M101 also The Pinwheel Galaxy. This galaxy is located in the constellation of Ursa Major ( The Big Dipper ). This photo is a total of 25x 25 second photos stacked in Deep Sky Stacker and processed with GIMP/Photoshop Elements 10.
   This Galaxy is located about 27 Million Light Years away and is over 170,000 Light Years across. Remember a Light Year is how far light travels in one year. In our fastest Spacecraft it would take approximately 3,600,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years. I believe that is 3.6 Octillion years. That's just to get across from one side to another! That is traveling at 35,000 MPH as well, so that gives you an idea the scale here. Another scale here the light in this photo took 27 Million years to get here that is 20 Million years after Modern Mammals appeared on Earth, this was when the first Elephants with Trunks appeared as well. It is known as the Tertiary period.
   I hope you all like the images and the science and sometimes history behind them. I have a tab toward the bottom right side of this page where you can join. Feel free and please do leave me some comments so I can tailor it better to my readers. Oh one more thing I have a Solar Filter coming in so be on the lookout for pictures of the Sun and it's Spots.
    Just though I would post an updated photo of M101. This is 85 photos stacked and processed.

3 comments:

jamie said...

I've been waiting for some sun pics from you!! YAY! Do you think you'll be able to get some of the flares with your equipment? Also.. I seen some of tornados on the sun but they weren't good. Plus you're much better at explaining things so that average Joe like me can relate and understand. So here's my question when and if you get into the flares... I've read that the bigger flares can create a light show similar to northern lights and can be seen in Indiana at times. Is there a certain time of day.. certain month etc where its a better chance view something like this? Thanks. Great blog BTW:)

Valerie Ridgway said...

hummmmm, good job son

Valerie Ridgway said...

I love love love the pinwheel