Friday, July 6, 2012




   I am sorry to all of my followers for not being more active on my blog. It has been two months since my last post. I can assure you I will be back at it full force soon. That being said on to the photograph.
   On June 5, 2012 was an event that no one alive today will see again. The transit of Venus. In this photo at the top right is a small black dot, that is Venus. I got extremely lucky that day, all day there were clouds covering up the sky. I was devastated, I purchased a Solar Filter to view this specific event. Later that evening before the Transit began Fraser Cain, the publisher of Universe Today and of Astronomy Cast started a Google + hangout to stream live views of the Transit. I jumped in with them with cloudy skies, a few minutes later the clouds cleared. I rushed to get my Telescope setup and begin my Stream. I was able to show a few minutes, then clouds yet again. Finally after an hour or so I got a good break and began my live stream again. I was able to keep the Transit in view and photograph it the rest of the evening.
   In this photo I used my Meade LX90 8" Telescope with a homemade Solar Filter with film from Seymour Solar. This event will not happen until the year 2117, I feel privileged to be able to view it and to photograph it to share with all of you.

No comments: